Saturday, May 28, 2005

People Who Talk In Circles..

I hate it when people talk around in circles. I keep wondering how these people function! I received a call on our business line of some one having heard shots fired one fine evening, the caller reported that it sounded like it was a few blocks away, large caliber nothing further. So then we back up to square one, where are you, stated more like
"What is the address you are calling from?"
The response was "My apartment"
"What is the address of your apartment?"
"214"
"214 what?"
"apartment 214"
"what is your street address?"
"ummmmmmmm"
"what street are you on?"
ok I can see from this line of questioning that we were getting nowhere fast. Soooooo
"if some one were to send you a letter where would they send it?"
"Oh, I have a PO Box"
- Ever have one of those days that you just want to hang up and just go home. so with every ounce of strength I resist banging my head on the console and ask "does your building have a name like the Smith apt?"
"Oh, Yah the ABC towers"
Thank Heavens a location that we can work with. "Where did you hear the shots being fired?"
"Outside"
Resist the head banging - RESIST THE HEAD BANGING "What direction out side?"
"Out the Back."
"Do you know if that is north, South, East, or West? - Never mind toward what streets were the shots fired."
from that point the caller was able to give lat/lon coordinates, elevation, wind speed and how many birds flew to the NNW at 18 knots from the sound of the shots.
When the call was concluded, dispatched and resolved as a car being worked on and having backfired, I just looked at the phone console and mouthed "Why Me?" Then the phone rang again, No one was on the line, it think it was fate just taunting me.
Granted a great deal has been edited here for length and such, however I hope you get the idea.
I love my job, I love my job, I love my Job.
- TheVoice

No comments: